Monday, September 27, 2010

4th Role

So I was looking to through my text book in search of a painting that actually once you saw it, you can tell it had a meaning behind it. Which I believe relates to the 4th role- artists give form to the immaterial. I found the painting "Race Riot" by Andy Warhol on page 8 and stuck out the most to me. 

The painting was events of May 1963 in Birmingham, Alabama, when police commissioner Bull Connor employed attack dogs and fire hoses to disperse civil rights demonstrators led by Martin Luther King Jr. You can tell that this was not right and it should of never happened. Anyone should have their own rights. After all we are all one. The art work also has the colors red, white, and blue which I believe represents the flag and peace. This painting has a lot of meaning behind it. 

Andy Warhol was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on August 6, 1928 and died on February 22, 1987 at the age 58. He now is famous worldwide for his work of painting. "Eight Elvises" a 1963 painting was one of his highest price paid for which was $100 million. 









http://radicalart.info/AlgorithmicArt/grid/repetition/62Warhol/s/64BirminghamRaceRiot-s.jpg

1 comment: